Monday, April 9, 2018

The Next Battlefield - Water

I stumbled upon a link to a site that discusses the shrinkage of Iran's water, the politics involved, and the process of a once-rich farming region turned into desert.

Water scarcity has been an interest of mine for a long time. As a science teacher, I was always coming across articles related to chemistry/biology/physics that I incorporated into my lesson plans. I generally used those articles as a way of bringing literacy activities into my classes (a strong passion for the admin types, who LOVED to see me using that approach).

Truthfully, my kids generally loved those readings - they were high interest, socially conscious, and easy enough to read, with some help on the specialized vocabulary. I used these to help them gain fluency with reading science-related content, as well as to provide supplementary work for those looking for a greater challenge.

Also made a great lesson for those days I needed a sub - no lab equipment or calculators needed.


No comments: