Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Youth oblivious to grammatical error.

A 16-year-old has been arrested for shooting a cabbie twice in the back of the head when the driver didn’t follow directions, Pennsylvania authorities said.

Aazis Richardson admitted as much to a horde of reporters as officers in Scranton led him down a hallway at police department headquarters. “That’s what I do to people that don’t listen,” the handcuffed suspect said, according to The Times-Tribune.

Did you see that? This youth has unwittingly embarrassed himself and his family by saying "people that don't listen" instead of "people who don't listen."

The educational "system" failed this young man. No, WE have failed this young man.

"Pennsylvania Because Driver Wouldn’t Follow Directions." By Deborah Hastings, NY Daily News, 5/24/14.

H/t: American Renaissance.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

My husband (and editor) ragged me about that/who until it was thoroughly drummed into my head.

He still hasn't managed to fix the comma problem. It's either too many or too few. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Politicians and bureaucrats rarely listen to us, maybe we should employ this young man's techniques and eschew his grammar.

Col. B. Bunny said...

Adrienne, I was unaware of that particular rule well into my 30s, notwithstanding a professional education. I was walking with my girlfriend one day and made that mistake, saying something like "There are plenty of people like Smith that avoid paying taxes." She kept saying "who!" and I kept saying "Smith!" till she finally told me what she was trying to get through my skull. It was pretty funny.

Col. B. Bunny said...

Anonymous, NOW we're talking!

Anonymous said...

I would consider entertaining the possibility that the young gent did not look upon 'people' in the traditional sense. Rather, he looked upon them as inanimate objects, not assigning any human value to them. I know that I certainly treat POS thugs that commit heinous crimes as unworthy of being denoted as having human traits. "Eradicating them... that's what I do to those parasites that invade my life."